Laboratory of Cancer and Chronic Diseases
Tz-Chong Chou, Ph.D.
Cathay Medical Research Institute
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences
Department of Pharmacology
National Defense Medical Center
Deputy Director, Department of Medical Research, Taipei Tzu Chi Hospital, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2018/08~2019/07)
Director, Core Laboratory, Taipei Tzu Chi Hospital, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2018/08~2019/07)
Director, Cancer Research Center, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, Hualien, Taiwan. (2018/03 ~ 2018/07)
Professor, Institute of Medical Sciences, Tzu Chi University, Hualein, Taiwan. (2013/08 ~ 2018/07)
Professor and Director, Department of Biomedical Engineering, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan. (2008/11 ~ 2013/07)
Adjunct Professor, Centre for Environment and Population health, Griffith School of Environment and Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (2007 ~ 2013/07)
Professor, Department of Physiology, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan. (2003/08 ~ 2008/10)
Major research Interests
We have established many research platforms for cancer, acute or chronic diseases, and the therapeutic effects of various Chinese herbal medicines, potential natural products, and related health products.
- Cancer research: To explore the molecular mechanisms underlying tumor angiogenesis, growth, metastasis, glycolysis, immunosuppression, cancer cachexia, and chemotherapeutic drug resistance and further develop related anti-cancer drugs.
- Vascular and inflammatory diseases: explore the pathogenic mechanisms of sepsis, infectious wounds, acute lung injury, pulmonary hypertension, diabetes, diabetic nephropathy, periodontal disease, bone loss and sarcopenia Research and the development of effective drugs and natural products.
- Platelet aggregation research: Explore the effects and mechanisms of potential clinical drugs and natural products on platelet agglutination.
- Explore the biological activity of various Chinese herbal medicine extracts and natural products.
Magnolol attenuates chemotherapy-induced cancer cachexia (Taiwan, PRC)
Awards and Honors
2016, Excellent Research Award, Tzu Chi University (first place)
2017, Excellent Research Award, Tzu Chi University
Selected papers (2013~)
- Lu SH, Huang RY, Chou TC*. Magnolol ameliorates ligature-induced periodontitis in rats and osteoclastogenesis: in vivo and in vitro Evid Based Complement Altern Med 2013: Article ID 634095, 2013.
- Chen MC, Lee CF, Huang WH, Chou TC*. Magnolol suppresses hypoxia-induced angiogenesis via inhibition of HIF-1a/VEGF signaling pathway in human bladder cancer cells. Biochem Pharmacol 85:1278-1287, 2013.
- Shih CY, Lin MH, Fan HC, Chen FC, Chou TC*. Mechanisms of antiplatelet activity of nifedipine: role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-β-γ-dependent processes. J Hypertens 32:181-192, 2014.
- Shih CY, Lin IH, Ding JC, Chen FC, Chou TC*. Antiplatelet activity of nifedipine is mediated by inhibition of NF-kB activation caused by enhancement of PPAR-β/-γ activity. Br J Pharmacol 171:1490-1500, 2014.
- Tsai CL, Lin YC, Wang HM, Chou TC*. Baicalein, an active component of Scutellaria baicalensis, protects against lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 153:197-206, 2014.
- Lu SH, Chen TH, Chou TC*. Magnolol inhibits RANKL-induced osteoclast differentiation of RAW 264.7 macrophages through heme oxygenase-1-dependent inhibition of NFATc1 expression. J Nat Prod 78:61-68, 2015.
- Chen TH, Shih CY, Hsu WL, Chou TC*. Mechanisms of nifedipine-downregulated CD40L/sCD40L signaling in collagen stimulated human platelets. Plos One 10:e0127054, 2015
- Chen MC, Chen YL, Lee CF, Huang CH, Chou TC*. Supplementation of magnolol attenuates skeletal muscle atrophy in bladder cancer-bearing mice undergoing chemotherapy via suppression of FoxO3 activation and induction of IGF-1. Plos One 10:e0143594, 2015.
- Chen MC, Hsu WL, Chang WL, Chou TC*. Antiangiogenic activity of phthalides-enriched Angelica Sinensis extract by suppressing WSB-1/pVHL/HIF-1a/VEGF signaling in bladder cancer. Sci Rep 7:5376,
- Yu WC, Chen YL, Hwang PA, Chen TH, Chou TC*. Fucoidan ameliorates pancreatic β-cell death and impaired insulin synthesis in streptozotocin-treated b cells and mice via a Sirt-1-dependent manner. Mol Nutr Food Res 61:1700136, 2017.
- Hsu WL, Lin YC, Jeng JR, Chang HY, Chou TC*. Baicalein ameliorates pulmonary arterial hypertension caused by monocrotaline through downregulation of ET-1 and ETAR in pneumonectomized rats. Am J Chin Med 46:769-783, 2018.
- Chang H, Chang CY, Lee HJ, Chou CY, ChouTC*. Magnolol ameliorates pneumonectomy and monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension in rats through inhibition of angiotensin II and endothelin-1 expression. Phytomedicine 51:205-213, 2018.
- Lu SH, Hsia YJ, Shih KC, Chou TC*. Fucoidan prevents RANKL-stimulated osteoclastogenesis and LPS-induced inflammatory bone loss via regulation of Akt/GSK3β/PTEN/NFATc1 signaling pathway and calcineurin activity. Marine Drugs 17:345, 2019.
- Yu WC, Huang RY, Chou TC*. Oligo-fucoidan improves diabetes-induced renal fibrosis via activation of Sirt-1, GLP-1R, and Nrf2/HO-1: An in vitro and in vivo Nutrients 12: 3068, 2020.
林張岷，慕庭如 (碩士級助理)，曾于萱，盤彤 (碩士研究生)